Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Struggling with Small Things and Big Things

I am searching. Too much big bad stuff is going on all around me. I cannot ignore the failing economy. Obama is very busy in the US. Closer to home, strange things are going on in Ottawa. People are losing jobs, losing their homes, starting to worry about getting by. Many who still have a job live with the stress that they may lose it sometime soon. There is no doubt about the fact that we are struggling. Let's just put it this way: I hope things get a lot better for us all very soon.
In the mean time, while it is so easy to get caught up in the big picture, I must keep reminding myself that the only way to keep my head up is to take things one day at a time...sometimes just one moment at a time. I cannot afford to let myself be distracted by the misbehaviour and greed and selfishness of others...that is something I cannot control. I must focus on what I can control.
Small steps. My own small steps. Eventually, I am convinced, if I can keep them focussed and directed, they can make a difference.
The other day I picked up a penny off the floor in a Tim Horton's shop. Almost anywhere else I would have put it in my pocket - you know, the old 'See a penny, pick it up, put it in your pocket and you'll have good luck' thing. This time, I decided not to keep the penny, but instead put it in the collection box they have at the counter for Tim's foundation. Then, afterwards I wondered why did I bother to do that. What on earth can one penny do? Then it came to me...if every Canadian, that is what...somewhere around 30 million....picked up one measly penny and put it in a donation box, that would be $300,000.00!!! Nobody can possibly think that $300,000 doesn't make a difference for a children's charity. Of course it won't fix the national deficit, but oops, I digress again. The point is I am very happy now that I did pick up that penny and put it where I did. I kind of hope the two people who watched me pick it up and put it in the box will do the same thing next time they see a penny.
Small things. I'm doing my best.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Joan-
Your point about the economy and it being scary is a good one, as is the point that we can not control the actions of others.
I like what you did with the penny!! Good For YOU! Lead by example!

In my opinion you are doing all the right things! Positive thoughts and actions are going to take you a long way. Small steps might be all you can do but when added up you will have taken a journey! ANd a positive one at that, that is a good thing.
Keep up the writing, that also is a really good thing :)
Take care,Christine in Indiana

Nancy from MA said...

Ah, your actions remind me of two quotes my late mother used to share. One was "Save your pennies, and your dollars will grow." And the other was "Cast your bread upon the waters." You saw the value of a simple penny and did just that.
Sometimes, when the world seems out of control, all we CAN do is take care of our own. Bring the wagons in a circle, so to speak. Like the ripple effect a penny might provoke, living an authentic life has its expanding consequences, and will hopefully mean something to someone else. Your sharing of your thoughts affected me by bringing back lovely thoughts of my mom. A nice way to start the new day, methinks!